Rummanah Aasi
   I read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater last year and I absolutely loved it. When the book ended and my tears have dried, I didn't want to say good bye to the characters and hoped for a sequel. I was rewarded when I found out that Shiver is actually part of a trilogy called the Wolves of Mercy. I had to wait patiently until July 2010 for Linger, however, I was worried about the happiness of the main couple, Grace and Sam, knowing full well they would face some obstacles in the next book.
  Needless to say that when I got my own copy of Linger in the mail, I was excited. I wanted to read it right away, but then later changed my mind in reading it slowly and savoring it. I still finished it in a couple of days, because I just had to know how it ended. Linger is fabulous and I absolutely loved it! As soon as I finished the last page, I wanted to reread it again. There is no doubt that I will reread it again when the final book, Forever, comes out next July. Those who loved Shiver as much as I did will surely love Linger. Those who thought Shiver was okay, may not like Linger because it is like its title suggests slower pacing and not much action until the very last chapters.

Description: In Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means leaving her good daughter reputation behind and parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his past and believing that his current state isn't a cruel joke, but most of all, figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix is Cole, whose own dark past has the potential to destroy the only family that Sam knows. And Isabelle, who is still struggling to cope with the death of her brother and is irresistibly drawn to Cole. Linger is a story of love, in all of its forms, and humanity.

Review: I loved Linger a little more than I loved Shiver, mainly because this sequel is much more complex than the first book. Though there is some recap in Linger, you really need to read Shiver first to appreciate Grace and Sam's relationship. 
    Linger is told in four alternating voices: Grace and Sam, which were introduced in Shiver as well as a new character, Cole, and Isabel, who moves from a supporting character to a main character. Although the points of view jumps in the story, I felt each of the characters had distinct voices, personalities, and held their own throughout the entire book. While this may seem at bit confusing to some, I found it very easy to distinguish and hear each character in my head.
  Steifvater's writing is excellent, beautiful, haunting, lyrical, and magical. She has the true talent of evoking such strong emotions of out her characters as well as from her readers. While reading, I could sense the character's vulnerabilities, their quiet waves of happiness, and their struggle to just hold on. What I love about this series is that none of the characters are perfect. They are all flawed in their own ways. Like Shiver, I was in tears in some places and had to reread several passages because they were just so beautiful. There are some scenes such as Cole and the deer that stayed with me long after I finished the book. 
  I also enjoyed reading from four different perspectives. Though the story revolves around Sam and Grace, it is nice to hear from Cole and Isabel who are also struggling with the same issues of guilt, love, and whether or not to embrace humanity. Isabel and Cole are interesting characters that compliment one another well. I found Cole to be complex yet at times frustrating, but I wanted to know more about him. 
  Although the pace of Linger is very slow, I didn't mind it at all. Actually, I was more interested on how all of these characters interacted with one another and how they grew. There were also lots of foreshadowing on how Linger ends, but I had to watch and read how everything unfolds. I still have questions and I'm a bit frustrated on the cliffhanger ending, but that is what makes a great sequel. Now I have to wait another year to find out how it all ends. Linger proves that this story is beyond a magnificent paranormal romance. It is a story about the complexities of love and humanity.



Rating: 5 stars

Words of Caution: There is some language and hints of sexual innuendo. There is also references to drugs and alcohol use.

If you like this book try: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain


0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails